Sunday, December 28, 2008

Circle of Life

Tonight Hudson and I had a date night. It isn't very often that Anthony and I just get one of the children alone so when there is an ounce of opportunity we usually jump on it. I had been hearing that Marley and Me was a really good movie to see and so I checked out the listing and what it was rated and thought that it would be a good one for Hudson also. I have to start off by saying that I tricked him to go to Walmart first with me (because he HATES shopping). I told him that we had to pick up dog food. Well really I wanted to slip through the clearance Christmas isle. While there I saw the .88 cent candy and thought heck ya.... I always sneak my own in, why not tonight??? Well then I remembered (he stood just over 4 feet). Mr. Rule Follower Hudson (where the heck does he get that from)??? :) He was appalled that I would even THINK of such a thing! He was not going to jail for me is what he said. When talking to Anthony on the way to the movie he said to him, "Do you have enough money to bail us out of jail tonight dad?" It just cracks me up how he is such a rule follower. Heavens... I'm not complaining (just thinking its cute). :) The movie was great. Hudson laughed so hard. I made him cover his eyes at the two parts that were maybe not so appropriate for a 6-year old. I was NOT ABOUT to cover death AND sex in one night!!! At the end he asked to sit on my lap and I could just feel him shake from crying. I'm not sure if I was crying because of the storyline or because I had Hudson feel these sad feelings he was feeling. Either one it was great conversation. He has had his hermit crab (rest in peace Marty and Elmo) and a guinea pig (Trix #1) die so he's dealt with death a tiny bit. We talked about how babies die, trees, grandparents, and our favorite pets. It was a conversation that I felt was time to be discussed. Even as an adult its not easy to grasp or even talk about, but important. Great movie!
E

No comments: